It has been fun to see all the interpretations of the challenges!
The last weeks challenge was to create a soap that had "leopard spots". I thought about this one for a couple days before trying it. What scents should I use and what colors? I decided to go for a lemongrass and cedarwood essential oil blend and add a bit of bentonite clay along with some ground lemon peel. The lemon peel was courtesy of a friend who gets yummy lemons each year - she even dried and crushed them for me.
I watched a couple different video's on how to create the spots. Some soapers were using piping bags or ziplocs that they cut a small corner off. Knowing my abilities to make a serious mess I decided to use a couple applicator bottles to have more control but it would give the same effect.
I started out with a plain base and separated out a bit for the dark brown and yellow colors I had chosen. With the remaining base I added a bit of titanium dioxide to keep the color light, the essential oils, the clay and the lemon peel. Oh and of course I added goat milk as I do with most of my soaps!
Then comes the fun. First a little of the base mixture. Next I began a layer of the brown, yellow and brown to create the "leopard spots". More batter, and more "spots" until the mold was filled. The remaining base and colored soap went on the top to create some contrast and add some interest.
The scent is awesome. I am really liking the citrus scents I have been working with. I am pleased with the results and have more ideas running through my head for more soap using this technique.
Thanks Amy for hosting the challenge! It was great fun!